With its rich history, vibrant culture, and stunning natural beauty, Kochi also known as Cochin has become a popular destination for travellers from all over the world. However, there are still many undiscovered gems waiting to be explored in this charming city. In this blog post, we'll be sharing our top ten undiscovered places to visit in Kochi that you won't find in most travel guides. So, whether you're a business or leisure traveller seeking affordable accommodation, be sure to add these hidden gems to your Kochi itinerary.
1. Mangalavanam Bird Sanctuary - Mangalavanam Bird Sanctuary is a natural haven for bird lovers situated in the heart of Kochi, Kerala. It is a small but vibrant patch of greenery that provides a perfect respite from the bustling city life. The sanctuary is home to a wide variety of avian species, making it a popular destination for birdwatchers. If you're looking for a peaceful getaway amidst nature, the Mangalavanam Bird Sanctuary is definitely worth a visit.
2. Idamalayar - An ideal destination for those looking to escape the hustle and bustle of their daily lives, Idamalayar with lush green forests, cascading waterfalls, and serene mountain air, offers a perfect getaway for nature lovers. With its picturesque views, Idamalayar offers visitors plenty of opportunities to relax and unwind. Its numerous trekking trails are also an attraction for those looking for a more active holiday experience. Whether you're looking for a peaceful retreat or an exciting adventure, Idamalayar is the place to be!
3. Mattancherry Palace - Also known as the Dutch Palace, this historic building features intricate murals and artifacts from the region's colonial past. The palace is a fine example of the Kerala style of architecture with traditional features like tiled roofs, gabled walls and numerous dormers. It stands today as a symbol of Kerala's rich cultural heritage and its long history. Visiting this magnificent structure is an unforgettable experience for any traveller to Kerala. From its idyllic setting right by the water's edge, to the grandeur of its architecture and artwork, this palace is something not to be missed.
4. Kerala Folklore Museum - A unique museum that showcases the traditional art, artifacts, and culture of Kerala. With its impressive collection and interactive exhibits, it's a must-visit for anyone interested in the local history. From intricately crafted wooden sculptures masks and costumes, visitors can explore the rich history and culture of Kerala in a single location. From elaborate costumes and musical instruments to antique furniture and household items, the museum has something for everyone.
5. Illithode - Illithode is renowned for its stunning beauty, making it an excellent destination for sightseers. From the breath-taking cliffs of the southern coast to the lush forests of the north, Illithode's landscape varies greatly from region to region. Explorers can spend days trekking through mountains and valleys, marvelling at all that nature has to offer. For those looking for a quieter experience, the many beaches and lakes of Illithode provide a perfect backdrop to relax and take in the views. Whether you're an outdoor enthusiast or just someone looking for a peaceful getaway, Illithode has something for everyone.
6. Bolgatty Island - If you're looking to get away from it all, Bolgatty Island in Ernakulam district near Fort Kochi is the perfect tranquil retreat. It's a serene paradise filled with attractions and activities for travellers of all ages. One of its most famous features is the palace built by the Dutch, which was eventually taken over by the British and is now a KTDC resort.
7. St. Francis Church - St. Francis Church Kochi is a historic church located in Fort Kochi, Kerala, India. It is believed to be one of the oldest European churches in India and was originally built by the Portuguese in the early 16th century. Over the years, the church has undergone several renovations and additions, but it still retains its old-world charm and architectural beauty.
8. Paradesi Synagogue - A historic synagogue located in the heart of Jew Town, known for its intricate interiors and ancient artifacts. It's a must-visit for anyone interested in the region's Jewish heritage. It is one of the oldest synagogues in the country and is renowned for its exquisite architecture, ornate decor, and rich cultural heritage that reflects the multiculturalism of the region.
9. Hill Palace Museum - A grand palace that has been converted into a museum, showcasing the art, artifacts, and culture of Kerala's royal past. With its sprawling grounds and impressive collection, it's a great place to spend a day exploring. It is one of the largest archaeological museums in the country and is situated on a hillock. It was the residence of the Maharaja of Kochi and later, the administrative headquarters of the Kochi royal family. Today, the museum is home to a collection of rare and valuable artifacts that showcase the rich cultural and historical heritage of Kerala.
10. Paniyeli Poru - Located near Kochi in the southern Indian state of Kerala, Paniyeli Poru is a breath-taking destination for nature lovers and adventure seekers and is a great outdoor picnic spot. The name comes from the Malayalam words pani (meaning stream) and poru (meaning fight). The roaring river Periyar, flowing amidst huge rocks and boulders, creates a unique experience for visitors.
Looking for a budget-friendly hotel in Kochi that doesn't compromise on quality? Look no further than Ginger Hotel Kochi. This hotel offers clean and comfortable rooms, impeccable service, and affordable rates, making it the perfect choice for budget-conscious travellers.
Located in the heart of Kochi in the Kalamassery suburb, Ginger Hotel Kochi offers easy access to the city's major attractions. Whether you want to explore the historic Fort Kochi, shop at the local markets, enjoy the stunning beaches or visit important business hubs like Infopark and Smart City Kochi, everything is just a short distance away – making it a preferred choice for both leisure and corporate travellers.
The hotel offers modern amenities and comfortable rooms equipped with air-conditioned bedrooms, LCD TVs and high-speed Wi-Fi. It also has a fitness centre, a rooftop swimming pool and several dining options serving multi-cuisine delights.
Ginger Hotel Kochi offers the perfect blend of comfort and convenience to its guests at pocket friendly rates – making it one of the best budget hotels in Kochi. Book your rooms at the hotel to enjoy a remarkable stay experience.
Ginger Kochi is a sought-after budget hotels near cochin airport, making it an ideal choice for travelers seeking convenient accommodation. With its affordable rates and comfortable rooms, Ginger Kochi ensures a pleasant stay for guests. The hotel is strategically situated, allowing easy access to the best places to stay in Kochi. Visitors can explore the city's vibrant culture, historical landmarks, and bustling markets. Whether it's the iconic Fort Kochi, charming backwaters, or delectable seafood, Ginger Kochi provides a convenient base to discover the enchanting city and it is the best places to stay in Kochi. Enjoy a comfortable stay and explore the best of Kochi at Ginger Kochi, your gateway to memorable experiences.